Monday, February 4, 2013

Can Online Learning Improve Educational Productivity?

Graphic from 
I just came across this infographic via Twitter (thanks to @CarriSchneider.) Interesting ideas it promotes about online learning.

I've taught several online courses over the past few years, and I think much of what is presented here makes sense. I've taken a few online courses in my M.Ed work too--I'd say it's a little different than traditional face-to-face learning, but there may be some real benefits here as well.

The one hang-up I still have is the idea that computers can replace teachers. I know that's not the fundamental argument being made in this graphic, but I've heard it before, and it is alluded to at least in the facts and figures presented here. Recognize that I'm biased: as an educator, I'd like to think that the work I do is complex enough to not be rendered algorithmic.

But this does get me thinking more about how computers can assist with some tasks that are part of online learning. And I do use Edmodo in my own teaching practice to help facilitate (if not automate) some parts of my classes. But  enhancing is not the same as replacing, right? Hmmm...it's an interesting time to be in education, isn't it?

So, how do you respond to these ideas? What excites you about online learning? What do you think translates well to an online environment? What might not translate so well?


No comments:

Post a Comment