Thursday, February 26, 2015

What's In Your Desk Drawer? Day 19

Snack time!

I am told--by people who love me very much--that I can be an unpleasant person when I get hungry.

"Hangry" has become a word. Hungry + angry. That is, unfortunately, often the case for me.

So I keep snacks in my desk drawer. Sometimes it's trail mix, sometimes it's granola bars. Right now, I have this box of fruit-and-grain bars in there. When I taught middle school, I sometimes kept a big bag of animal crackers. (Those are good for sharing with hungry middle school students too!)

There are times when I just need some calories. Get the blood sugar up again, right?

Teaching is hard work--physically, mentally, emotionally, and even spiritually--and you have to fuel yourself up for the challenges in all of these ways.

So having a snack in the drawer can be a good way to recharge physically.

How about mentally? What do we do to keep ourselves from getting intellectually "hangry?"

And what about the emotional aspect of teaching? Can we keep ourselves from becoming affectively "hangry?"

Some teachers might not consider the spiritual aspect of teaching, but I believe that everyone has some faith perspective--and it comes out in your teaching practice in some way. (Even an atheist stating "I believe there is no god" is making a statement of faith!) So how can we keep ourselves from becoming spiritually "hangry?"

Just like I sometimes snap when I'm physically hungry, I think that mental, emotional, and spiritual "hungers" affect the way we conduct our work.

Do I have anything handy in my desk drawer to feed these cravings?




---

(This post is part of a series about the weird stuff teachers have in their desk drawers. You can read more about this project here, and I hope you'll share the stories of the weird stuff you have in your desk too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment